Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Forget Failure

It's funny how easy it is to label something as a failure, when in actual fact, it was only a mis-take. This is a common theme I've found with many of my coaching clients and I find it easy to spot as it's exactly what I used to do!
I'll give you an example. A few years ago I was having a career hiatus and I was working in a gym as a sales consultant. I used to see many people on a daily basis, all fired up to get fit and do the gym thing. During the course of the sign up conversation, they would tell me how they're going to come along to the gym 3 times a week and do some classes as well.
Then I'd ask them how they were going to achieve this, seeing as they hadn't been going to the gym 1 day a week! That's when I'd get silence. What I began to realise was, most people have an idea of what they want to do and no plan on how to get there. So when the idea doesn't work out exactly like they thought it would, they give up and call it a failure...which is what happens with over 50% of people who join gyms!
They come along for the first week or so, then they miss one day, so it becomes harder to come along the next day. Before you know it a week or two have gone by and you end up telling yourself you knew the gym thing wouldn't work! Sound familiar?
However, had there been a plan, you can go back and visit it. When you do hit an obstacle, you can reassess and then start again from that point. What you might find is many starting points and the end result is getting to where you want to be...success!

No comments:

Post a Comment